Williamsburg Libraries Behavior Policy
For the comfort and safety of patrons, volunteers, and staff, and the protection of Library property, the following actions are examples of conduct not allowed on library property.
- Engaging in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local or other applicable law, or library policy.
- Carrying firearms and dangerous weapons of any type (except by law enforcement officers).
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs and selling, using, or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs.
- Verbally or physically threatening or harassing other patrons, volunteers, or staff, including stalking, staring, lurking, offensive touching, and obscene acts such as sex acts and indecent exposure.
- Soliciting or conducting surveys including political campaigning is not allowed in the library building.
- Stealing, damaging, altering, or inappropriate use of library property in library facilities, including computer hardware and software, printers, copiers, phones, and other equipment.
- Trespassing in nonpublic areas, being in the library without permission of an authorized library employee before or after library operating hours, or camping on library grounds.
- Fighting or challenging to fight, running, pushing, shoving, or throwing things.
- Creating disruptive noises such as loud talking, screaming, or banging on computer keyboards.
- Gambling and group activities which are disruptive to the library environment.
- Using audible devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others. Using cell phones, pagers, and other communication devices in a manner that disturbs others. Cell phone and pager audible ringers must be turned off.
- Using restrooms for bathing or shampooing, doing laundry, or changing clothes.
- Smoking, chewing, and other tobacco use in library facilities or on library grounds.
- Entering the library barefooted, without a shirt, with offensive body odor or personal hygiene, or being otherwise attired so as to be disruptive to the library environment.
- Using wheeled devices in library property or on library grounds, except in designated areas, including skateboarding, roller-skating, bicycling, scooters, and shopping carts (exceptions i.e. wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers).
- Lying down or sleeping in the restrooms or on any floor, couch, table, or seat in the library, or blocking aisles, exits, or entrances by sitting or lying down in them.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals necessary for disabilities, into the library, except as authorized by the director.
- Persons disrupting others may be asked to relocate, or leave the building.
- Interpretation of what constitutes problem behaviors not enumerated above is at the discretion of the Director.
Approved by Board 10/20/2014